Please read the information below which gives details of our PE and Sport Premium Grant and how we allocate the funding.
What is the PE and Sports Grant?
The Government provides additional substantial primary school sport funding for each academic year in order to improve the provision of physical education and sport in primary schools.
This ring-fenced funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools and is jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport; it will see money going directly to schools to be spent on improving the quality and provision of sport and PE for all their children. All state-maintained schools, academies, middle schools, special schools and pupil referral units which have primary aged pupils will receive the funding.
Purpose of the funding
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of the PE and sport they offer, although they have some freedom to choose how they do this.
There are 5 key indicators that are used to monitor improvement:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity - the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school;
- The profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement;
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport;
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils;
- Increased participation in competitive sport.
At Wellington Community Primary School, we believe PE & Sport plays an important role in developing the whole child, with the potential to change children’s lives for the better. We are committed to using this resource in developing high quality PE lessons, alongside greater opportunities for sporting involvement for all our young people.
PE and Sport Premium information from the DfE can be found by clicking here.